Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Jeremiah 6

Let me remind all of you who are of age that it is election day, and you should do your civic and religious duty and vote. Elections have a huge impact on what direction our world goes. It's a good thing! Ok, so lets get to the study!

Today I'm going to start by giving you the GN because I want to describe a little about what is going on. I just got this brand new Archaeological Study Bible, now I'm not much on archaeology (I had to turn to the front of the Bible just to see how to spell it) but it has some great information in it that I believe you will enjoy and that will help us in our study of Jeremiah!

GN-Jeremiah 6:13-"From the least to the greatest, their lives are ruled by greed. From prophets to priests, they are al frauds."
GN-Jeremiah 6:19-"Listen, all the earth! I will bring disaster on my people. It is the fruit of their own schemes, because they refuse to listen to me. They have rejected my word.
GN-Jeremiah 6:27-"Jeremiah, I have made you a tester of metals, that you may determine the quality of my people."
GN-Jeremiah 6:30-"I will label them rejected silver, for I, the Lord am discarding them."

Here in chapter 6 God is telling us exactly what he see's in Jerusalem, He says that the city is so corrupt that He will have to destroy it. Again let us not forget that just a chapter ago God said that if there was even one honest person in the town He would not destroy it, but as we know that did not happen.

I believe it's important for us to see that even the people who were deticated to God's service where not living for God (see v. 13) even the priests had fallen into dispicable practices. I also believe it's important for us to note that this whole destruction is not God' fault (see v. 19) it is the fruit of not listening to God. In v. 27 God lets Jeremiah know that he (Jeremiah) would determine the quality of the people that where there. v.27 if they don't live up to God's standards then He will label them rejected silver.

What a lesson for us today as we often ask the age old question "why did God do that?" when maybe we should be asking what action did we do to bring about these circumstances. I'm sure that after the destruction and Jerusalem starting being attacked that the people probably stood around and wonder why God had not protected them, but God lets us know that it was "the fruit or their actions" that brought the destruction about.

The other thing that really stood out to me is the type of man that Jeremiah must have been. God puts him in charge of going out and determing the quality of the people that must have been extremely difficult for Jeremiah to tell people that they way that they were living would ultimately cause them death.

Wow, is this getting intense or what! I hope that you will take each lesson that I present here or not lesson but just thoughts and you will take God's word and read it for yourself and see what God is asking you to do today.

IN HIM <><

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey chris this is pretty cool blog thing haha well just stoppin by to say hey and see whats goin on in the blog

Anonymous said...

that last comment was from me Erica haha

Anonymous said...

HEY, YOU finially got to go on the blog... yayayayyayayyayayayayay
have a nice day
kk