Thursday, September 11, 2008

Magic with a Message

Matthew 14:22-33

Ok, so it's been a while since I wrote but summer is officially over and it's time for me to get back on track.

I like to do this thing called "magic with a message". "Magic with a Message" is a magic show with a little gospel message that goes along with each trick or illusion. Let me just say that there have been some who tried to copy this show (DAVE McCants tries to do something called Inspirational Illusions). One of the only illusions that I know and my favorite is a card trick where I turn all of the cards into the five of hearts, well it seems that way at least. "What does this have to do with God,?" you ask. Well here it is, sometimes I feel as if God is no where around. Have you ever felt like that? I know that He is always right here with me but sometimes it feels as if God is no where to be found. I realize that it is my own sinful depravity that makes me feel this way and it is only because I have stepped away from God for a few moments. That it is because I have chosen not to seek God at that time in my life. I couldn't help but to think about Matthew 14 where Jesus comes to the disciples on the water and Peter gets to walk on water. You remember the story I'm sure. As Jesus walks out to the boat which is being tossed in the storm the disciples are scared because that believe that they are seeing a ghost. Then Jesus tells them "It is I" which after reading a commentary or two and looking at the original Greek I see that this statement that is used "it is I" is the same phrase which literally means "I AM". Sometimes I believe that you and I get mixed up and don't realize that God is with us each moment of our lives. It is not just some illusion. Jesus didn't just tricked us and say He would be there but he really isn't. Jesus comes to you and I in our times when we look out into our world and lives and say "Jesus is it really you?" Jesus speaks back to us and say "IT IS I!" Jesus wants to be with us, will we let Him in the boat?

No comments: