Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Are You Going to Win an Oscar?

Matthew 6:1--"Be especially careful when you are tying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding."(The Message)

I couldn't hep but write this after reading this verse today! With all the talk about the Academy Awards or Oscars or (maybe there the same thing) as you can tell it's not like I'm a big awards guy. No, I didn't watch them on TV never have and probably never will, I don't like any of those award things! The part that really stood out to me was how the media covers these types of events. The next morning the media talks for hours about who wore what designer dress and what they looked like on the red carpet all the while completely neglecting to say anything about who won the award (which was the purpose of being there and dressed up in the first place).

As I sit here I can think of all the things that I/we make a performance out of. I see in todays' church we make a performance out of our worship (sometimes) but more importantly we make a performance out of our everyday lives. I believe that we all are good actors from time to time, but I believe that realizing and admitting to God that we know that we are acting is what God really wants us to do. It's when we think that we have everyone fooled including God that our performance really gets us in trouble.

It's very funny that the very things that the world looks at, such as who had the most expensive dress clothes and who did what. Is the very thing that God says he is not concerned about at all. Where the world continues to be outwardly focused, God continues to focus internally. If we continue to be the people that God has called us to be, then one day we will receive the reward of all rewards!

IN HIM,

No comments: